Monday, July 03, 2006

Ode to Functionality

I know I've already been waxing lyrical about the joys of Singapore (particularly after a stint in the third world), but you're going to have to listen-up again.

So left SL at 08.30am last Friday, only 90mins late and a little surprised as I'd just found out that the flight to Singapore was going via Kuala Lumpur. Fairly uneventful flight, and arrived in Singapore at 15.30.

Because the plane was virtually empty, managed to get off, send an email to Dunc at the free internet terminal, walk through customs, collect my luggage, push my trolley up to the next level, check in with Qantas for the on-flight AND get back to meet my friend Katherine, as arranged all within 20 minutes! Yes, 20 minutes. I'm still in shock at how smoothly things can go in a country where functionality is a national virtue. (The only other time I've experienced this level of organizational prowess was many moons ago flying to Switzerland to catch a succession of interlinking trains and cable cars to the ski resort of Murren - the plane was late, but yup, you guessed it, in true Swiss style, all the connections waited ......)

tomorrow, New Kid on the Block

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home