Tuesday, July 04, 2006

New Kid on the Block

Well I'm back to school, and the sensation doesn't change, you just get a bit more used to it! First day at LSE yesterday to start my Summer School in International Human Rights Law, which opened with a morning introductory session, followed by a class at 11am and a 3 hour group class at 2pm. So contact hours, 4 a day, plus a daily reading load of about the equivalent to what a normal person would read in a week, and we're off!

I didn't know whether to be pleased by the intellectual rigour of the process when told that this was equivalent to a degree course, or terrified at the prospect of producing an essay and writing an exam and completing the above contact hours and reading all in 3 weeks! I mean c'mon, don't they know this is my longest time in London in 10 years - I've got people to catch up with, things to do, parties to go to. But it's all going to have to play 2nd fiddle to the study - that tends to happen when you're paying for it yourself.

Another surprise for me has been my colleagues on the course, whom bar myself and two others are still studying their first degrees. When I asked why they were taking the course in their summer break, the overwhelming response was: "It will look good on my CV". Interesting that in this day and age students take the Human Rights discipline to improve their career prospects. I think there's a dissertation in the making on that there topic Jim-Bob.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home